Some lemon chicken soup with rice is a pretty hearty way to warm up your afternoon.
Especially during the cold reasons, but really, it’s tasty any time of the year. It’s basically like a chicken noodle soup except this time it has some zest to it, which makes it absolutely delicious!
There’s something so tasty when you mix lemon and chicken together and make it into a soup (along with some rice!)
This soup has plenty of spices and taste that goes PERFECT together to warm you up when you most need it.
I came up with this recipe when I felt like I wanted to jazz up my usual chicken noodle soup without making it too complicated.
Sometimes your taste buds just want to taste something different and zesty for a change. This lemon chicken soup (thats super easy and best of all CHEAP to make) is great for that.
What makes it so easy is that you generally make it like you would a classic chicken soup, except this version includes lemon and a few different spices to up the taste factor a bit.
Not to mention the rice is a change from the usual noodles and it makes the soup more filling overall.
I usually like to take my favorite sourdough bread and toast it then add some butter and have it as a side.
It’s just super tasty and hearty, especially for a weekend (or even a weeknight when you can use the crock pot!) Sometimes when you’re making soup for big families, knowing different conversion measurements can come in handy to make sure you’re keeping the proportions the same. I’ve created guides and a printable that can help you with that!
Lemon chicken soup with rice
Easy Lemon Chicken Soup
- 3 cans organic chicken broth
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 11/4 cup plain white rice, cooked separately
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 chicken cube
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 of a stick of butter
- 1 pinch of salt to taste
- Sautee the onion in the quarter stick of butter, add the diced celery, and sautee some more as you pour in the chicken broth
- Boil the chicken breasts in the chicken broth until done
- Once done, take out chicken and pull apart with two forks in the size pieces you prefer. Or you can wait for the chicken breasts to cool down and dice it up into small chunks
- add it back in to your chicken broth, add rice, lemon juice, spices, and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- You can enjoy it with your favorite toasted artisan bread, or tortilla bits on the side for good measure (optional). Garnish with a lemon slice and onion bits
- The soup can last a week in the fridge and it makes for great leftovers