As a busy person who is always on the go, I’m all about quick and easy meals that don’t sacrifice flavor.
That’s why I’m so excited to share my recipe for 20-minute steak fajitas with you! When I’m in a rush but still want something delicious, this is my go-to meal.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s incredibly simple and only requires a few basic ingredients.
All you need is some steak, vegetables, and a few spices to create a flavorful and satisfying meal.
Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover steak or veggies you might have in the fridge.
The key to making these fajitas so quickly is the marinade, which infuses the steak with flavor in just 10 minutes.
While the steak is marinating, you can quickly prep the vegetables and any optional toppings you want to include.
Then it’s just a matter of cooking everything up and assembling the fajitas.
I’ve been making this recipe for years and it’s always a hit with my family and friends.
Not only is it delicious, but it’s also a healthier alternative to traditional beef fajitas, as it’s loaded with fresh vegetables and uses lean steak.
Plus, it’s a great way to get some protein and veggies in your diet without spending hours in the kitchen.
In this blog post, I’ll walk you through the entire process of making 20-minute steak fajitas, from the ingredients you’ll need to the step-by-step instructions for cooking and assembling the fajitas.
I’ll also share some tips for customizing the recipe to your liking, so you can make it your own. So grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
Must-Have Ingredients for Tasty Steak Fajitas
When it comes to making these mouthwatering 20-minute steak fajitas, you’ll need a handful of key ingredients to bring out the flavors and create a truly satisfying meal.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Personally, I love using skirt steak for its rich flavor and tender texture. It’s a great cut for fajitas as it absorbs the marinade well and cooks quickly.
You can also use flank steak or even thinly sliced sirloin if you prefer.
Lime Juice. The tanginess of lime juice adds a refreshing kick to the marinade.
Olive Oil. It helps to tenderize the steak and prevents it from drying out during cooking.
Garlic. Freshly minced garlic adds a wonderful aromatic note.
Cumin. This spice brings warm and earthy flavors to the marinade.
Chili Powder. For that hint of smokiness and a touch of heat.
Salt and Pepper. Season the marinade and enhance the flavors.
Bell Peppers. Choose a variety of colorful bell peppers such as red, green, and yellow. They add a vibrant sweetness to the fajitas.
Onion. Sliced onions complement the peppers and add a subtle savory flavor.
Guacamole. Creamy and rich guacamole brings a cool and tangy element to the fajitas.
Salsa. Whether it’s a classic tomato salsa or a fiery homemade pico de gallo, the vibrant flavors of salsa take the fajitas to the next level.
Sour Cream. A dollop of sour cream adds a creamy and cooling contrast to the spiciness of the fajitas.
Fresh Cilantro. Sprinkle some chopped cilantro on top for a burst of freshness.
Now that we have our ingredients ready, we’re well on our way to creating these delectable steak fajitas.
Get Your Fajita Game On (How to Prep Like a Pro for Steak Fajitas)
Speedy And Savory 20-Minute Steak FajitasCourse: Lifestyle, Recipes
1 lb flank steak, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper, to taste
Tortillas, for serving
Optional toppings: sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, salsa, etc.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced flank steak, bell peppers, onion, minced garlic, olive oil, fajita seasoning, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat everything evenly.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over high heat. Once hot, add the steak and vegetable mixture to the pan. Spread it out evenly in a single layer.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the steak is cooked to your desired doneness and the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Warm up the tortillas in a separate pan or microwave according to package instructions.
- Serve the steak and vegetable mixture in warm tortillas. Add your favorite toppings such as sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, or salsa.
- Roll up the tortillas, and enjoy the flavorful and quick steak fajitas!
Get ready to transform those ingredients into a sizzling and flavorful meal! Let’s get started:
1. Marinating the Steak
Marinating the steak is key to infusing it with delicious flavors and tenderizing the meat. Here’s how you do it:
- Start by placing your steak in a shallow dish or a resealable plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Mix everything well.
- Pour the marinade over the steak, making sure it’s fully coated. You can use your hands to massage the marinade into the meat for better flavor penetration.
- Let the steak marinate for at least 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. If you have more time, marinating for up to 30 minutes can further enhance the taste.
2. Preparing the Fajita Fillings
While the steak is marinating, let’s move on to preparing the fajita fillings:
- Heat a skillet or a large pan over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of oil.
- Slice the bell peppers and onion into thin strips. You can go for long strips or dice them if you prefer.
- Once the pan is hot, add the sliced peppers and onions.
Sauté them for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they become tender and slightly caramelized.
You want them to maintain a bit of crunch for a satisfying texture.
3. Optional Toppings
Now that the steak is marinated and the fajita fillings are prepared, it’s time to gather your optional toppings for an extra burst of flavor:
- Whip up a batch of creamy guacamole by mashing ripe avocados, adding lime juice, salt, minced garlic, and diced tomatoes.
- Prepare a tangy salsa by combining diced tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and a pinch of cumin.
- Don’t forget the sour cream for a creamy element and the fresh cilantro to sprinkle on top.
With the steak marinated, the fajita fillings ready, and the optional toppings prepped, we’re now just moments away from assembling these tantalizing steak fajitas.
Cooking the Perfect Steak Fajitas
Now that we have our marinated steak and prepared fajita fillings, it’s time to move on to the exciting part: cooking and assembling the 20-minute steak fajitas.
Let’s dive right in:
1. Searing the Steak
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over high heat and add a drizzle of oil.
- Once the pan is hot, carefully place the marinated steak onto the pan, allowing any excess marinade to drip off.
- Sear the steak for about 3-4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the steak and your preferred level of doneness.
Cook it a bit longer for well-done or less for medium-rare.
- Remove the steak from the pan and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing it thinly against the grain. This ensures tender and juicy steak in every bite.
2. Sautéing the Vegetables
- In the same pan, add a bit more oil if needed, and toss in the sautéed peppers and onions.
- Sauté them for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are nicely caramelized and still maintain a slight crunch.
The combination of flavors and textures will make your taste buds sing with delight.
3. Assembling the Fajitas
- Grab a warm tortilla and spoon some of the sautéed peppers and onions onto the center.
- Top it with a generous amount of sliced steak.
- Finally, it’s time to add your optional toppings.
Whether it’s a dollop of creamy guacamole, a spoonful of tangy salsa, a drizzle of sour cream, or a sprinkle of fresh cilantro, go ahead and get creative!
Now that your fajita masterpiece is assembled, take a moment to admire it before taking that first delicious bite.
The combination of juicy, marinated steak, sautéed peppers and onions, and flavorful toppings is a fiesta of flavors in your mouth.
The tender meat, the vibrant veggies, and the zing from the optional toppings come together harmoniously to create a truly satisfying meal.
Feel free to experiment with different variations and add your own personal touch.
You can even serve these fajitas with a side of Mexican rice, refried beans, or a refreshing salad to complete the meal.
From Grill to Table (Serving and Tips for Amazing Steak Fajitas)
We’ll explore some serving suggestions and tips for customizing your fajitas to suit your taste. Let’s dive in:
- Serve your sizzling steak fajitas on a warm tortilla, either flour or corn, depending on your preference.
- You can also heat the tortillas directly on a dry skillet for a few seconds on each side to make them extra soft and pliable.
- Consider offering a variety of toppings and condiments, such as shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, sliced jalapeños, or even a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Let your creativity shine!
Tips for Customization
- If you’re a fan of spice, add some diced jalapeños or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the marinade for an extra kick.
- Experiment with different types of steak cuts to find your favorite. Ribeye, T-bone, or even filet mignon can work beautifully in fajitas.
- Want to make it a vegetarian option? Swap out the steak with portobello mushrooms or tofu, and adjust the marinade accordingly.
- Don’t limit yourself to just bell peppers and onions.
Feel free to include other veggies like zucchini, mushrooms, or even corn to add more variety and colors to your fajitas.
Remember, these tips are meant to inspire you to create a meal that perfectly suits your taste preferences.
Feel free to mix and match, adding your own twists and turns to make these fajitas uniquely yours.
The beauty of 20-minute steak fajitas is not just their simplicity and incredible flavor but also their versatility.
Whether you’re cooking for a family dinner, a casual gathering with friends, or simply treating yourself to a satisfying meal, these fajitas are sure to impress.
Savor the Flavor and Elevate Your Meal Prep Game with Our Free Plan!
To sum it up, our 20-minute steak fajitas recipe has brought you on a flavorful journey that proves delicious meals can be quick and easy.
But why stop here? If you’re looking to level up your meal prep game and streamline your cooking routine, we have just the solution for you.
Introducing our free meal prep plan!
By signing up, you’ll gain access to a treasure trove of delectable recipes, time-saving tips, and expert guidance to make meal prepping a breeze.
Say goodbye to stressful last-minute decisions and hello to well-planned, nutritious meals throughout the week.
Our meal prep plan is designed to help you save time, reduce food waste, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Take the first step towards a more organized and fulfilling culinary journey.
Sign up for our free meal prep plan today and discover a world of convenience, flavor, and balance.
Your culinary adventure awaits!
How long are steak fajitas good for?
Steak fajitas keep very well in the fridge or freezer and they reheat well (even in the microwave!) — making them a perfect make-ahead or meal prep option.
Refrigerator: To store for up to four days, place fajita leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
How do you tenderize a steak?
Using a meat mallet (or kitchen mallet) to pound steaks helps soften and tenderize the meat.
Simply place the meat in between pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper and pound it prior to cooking.
If you don’t have a meat mallet, you can also use a heavy kitchen tool such as a skillet, saucepan, or rolling pin.