I can’t resist the mouthwatering combination of tender chicken, smoky BBQ sauce, and melted cheese all wrapped up in a warm tortilla.
It’s a flavor explosion that never fails to satisfy my cravings.
Today, I want to share with you my ultimate guide to creating the most delectable BBQ chicken quesadillas you’ve ever tasted.
When it comes to comfort food, BBQ chicken quesadillas hold a special place in my heart.
The tangy sweetness of the BBQ sauce perfectly complements the succulent grilled chicken, while the ooey-gooey melted cheese adds a rich and creamy element.
Every bite is a harmonious blend of flavors that will leave you wanting more.
I’ll take you through the process step by step, from selecting the finest ingredients to assembling and cooking these heavenly quesadillas.
Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner in the kitchen, rest assured that you’ll be able to recreate this crowd-pleasing dish with ease.
So, get ready to embark on a culinary adventure that will tantalize your taste buds and impress your family and friends.
Let’s dive into the world of BBQ chicken quesadillas and discover how to create a masterpiece that will have everyone asking for seconds.
Key Ingredients for a Perfect BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
Each component plays a crucial role in creating the perfect balance of flavors. Here’s what you’ll need:
For the succulent and flavorful chicken filling, you’ll need:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs: Choose high-quality chicken for the best results.
Approximately 2 medium-sized chicken breasts or 4-5 chicken thighs should be sufficient.
The foundation of your quesadillas, tortillas provide a delightful crispy exterior. You can opt for:
- Flour tortillas: Traditional flour tortillas work wonderfully and provide a soft and slightly chewy texture.
Aim for medium-sized tortillas, around 8-10 inches in diameter.
The star of the show, BBQ sauce infuses the chicken with its smoky, tangy goodness. You can either make your own or use a store-bought sauce. Look for:
- Your favorite BBQ sauce: Choose a sauce that aligns with your taste preferences.
Whether you prefer a sweet and tangy flavor or a spicy kick, there are numerous options available.
To achieve that irresistible gooeyness, you’ll need a melty and flavorful cheese. Consider:
- Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese: These cheeses melt beautifully and add a rich, creamy taste.
Grate approximately 1 ½ cups of cheese for a generous filling.
Enhance the flavors and customize your quesadillas with these optional toppings:
- Red onions: Thinly sliced red onions can add a hint of sharpness and crunch.
- Fresh cilantro: Chopped cilantro adds a refreshing and herbaceous element.
- Jalapeños: Sliced or diced jalapeños bring a spicy kick for those who enjoy some heat.
- Sour cream: A dollop of creamy sour cream complements the flavors and provides a cooling effect.
I find that the combination of tender grilled chicken, flour tortillas, a smoky BBQ sauce, and melted Monterey Jack cheese creates the perfect BBQ chicken quesadilla.
Feel free to customize the toppings based on your preferences.
BBQ Chicken Prep with Perfection
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas (Savor The Sizzle)Course: Lifestyle, Recipes
2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4 large flour tortillas
Olive oil or cooking spray, for cooking
- In a bowl, combine the shredded chicken and barbecue sauce, making sure the chicken is well coated.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Place one tortilla on the skillet and sprinkle a quarter of the shredded cheese evenly over the tortilla.
- Spread a quarter of the BBQ chicken mixture on one-half of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle some sliced red onion and chopped cilantro on top of the chicken.
- Fold the tortilla in half, pressing it gently with a spatula.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the tortilla is crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Once cooked, transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board and let them cool for a minute.
- Slice each quesadilla into wedges and serve hot.
Now that we have gathered our ingredients, it’s time to prepare the star of our BBQ chicken quesadillas—the flavorful and juicy chicken.
Follow these steps to achieve tender and delicious chicken:
Marinating the chicken
Marinating the chicken infuses it with flavors and ensures it remains moist during cooking. Here’s how to marinate the chicken:
1. In a bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine the chicken pieces with your favorite marinade.
You can use a pre-made BBQ marinade or make your own by mixing BBQ sauce, garlic, paprika, and a splash of lime juice.
2. Make sure the chicken is well-coated with the marinade.
Seal the bag or cover the bowl and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, but preferably for a few hours or overnight.
This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat.
Grilling or cooking the chicken
There are various methods to cook the chicken, but grilling or pan-cooking are two popular options. Choose the method that suits your preference and kitchen setup:
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
2. Remove the chicken from the marinade and let any excess marinade drip off.
3. Place the chicken on the preheated grill and cook for about 6-8 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C).
The cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken pieces.
4. Once cooked, transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing or shredding.
1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
2. Remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing any excess marinade to drip off.
3. Place the chicken in the hot skillet and cook for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C).
Adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of the chicken.
4. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the skillet and transfer it to a cutting board. Let it rest for a few minutes before slicing or shredding.
Shredding or slicing the cooked chicken
After the chicken is cooked and has rested, it’s time to transform it into bite-sized pieces for our quesadillas. You have two options:
Shredding: Use two forks to pull the cooked chicken apart, creating thin, shredded pieces. This method works well if you prefer a more textured filling.
Slicing: Place the rested chicken on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to cut it into thin, uniform slices. This method is great if you prefer a neater and more uniform filling.
I enjoy the slightly chunky texture of shredded chicken in my BBQ chicken quesadillas, as it ensures each bite is packed with flavor.
However, feel free to choose the slicing method if you prefer a different texture.
Assemble Like a Pro
Now that we have our flavorful BBQ chicken ready, let’s move on to the exciting part—assembling our BBQ chicken quesadillas.
Follow these steps to create a mouthwatering masterpiece:
Choosing the right tortillas
Selecting the right tortillas is essential for a satisfying quesadilla experience. Here’s what you need to keep in mind:
Flour tortillas: Opt for medium-sized flour tortillas, around 8-10 inches in diameter. Look for tortillas that are pliable and not overly thick.
This allows for easy folding and ensures a crispy exterior when cooked.
Spreading BBQ sauce on tortillas
The BBQ sauce adds a tangy and smoky flavor to our quesadillas. Here’s how to incorporate it:
1. Lay one tortilla flat on a clean surface.
2. Take a spoonful of BBQ sauce and spread it evenly across the surface of the tortilla.
Use the back of the spoon to ensure the sauce covers the entire tortilla, leaving a small border around the edges.
Layering the shredded chicken and cheese
The combination of tender BBQ chicken and melted cheese is what makes these quesadillas irresistible. Let’s layer the ingredients:
1. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded BBQ chicken evenly over one-half of the sauced tortilla.
2. Next, sprinkle a generous amount of grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese over the chicken, ensuring even coverage.
3. Be mindful not to overload the filling, as it may make folding and cooking more challenging.
Optional toppings and additions
To add extra flavor and texture to your quesadillas, consider incorporating these optional toppings:
- Sliced red onions: Place a few thin slices of red onions over the chicken and cheese. They add a touch of sharpness and a satisfying crunch.
- Chopped fresh cilantro: Sprinkle some freshly chopped cilantro over the filling for a vibrant and herbaceous element.
- Diced jalapeños: If you like a spicy kick, add some diced jalapeños for that extra heat. Adjust the amount based on your preference and tolerance.
- Feel free to get creative and experiment with other ingredients like diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, or even a drizzle of sour cream.
Remember, the key is to evenly distribute the toppings over the chicken and cheese, ensuring that each bite is bursting with flavor.
The Art of Cooking Quesadillas
There are two popular methods you can choose from: the pan-frying method and the baking method. Let’s explore both options:
Pan-frying the quesadillas on the stovetop creates a deliciously crispy exterior with a gooey, melted filling. Follow these steps to pan-fry your quesadillas:
1. Heat a non-stick skillet or frying pan over medium heat. You can add a small amount of oil or cooking spray to prevent sticking, but it’s not necessary.
2. Carefully transfer one assembled quesadilla to the hot skillet, ensuring it lies flat.
3. Cook the quesadilla for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the tortilla turns golden brown and crispy, and the cheese melts.
4. Use a spatula to carefully flip the quesadilla to the other side, being cautious not to let the filling spill out.
5. Once both sides are nicely browned and the cheese is melted, remove the quesadilla from the skillet and place it on a cutting board.
6. Repeat the process with the remaining quesadillas.
Baking the quesadillas in the oven is a convenient method that allows you to cook multiple quesadillas at once. Follow these steps to bake your quesadillas:
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Place the assembled quesadillas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly greased.
3. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until the tortillas turn golden brown and crispy, and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
4. Once baked, carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board.
Both methods will yield delicious results, so choose the one that suits your preference and kitchen setup.
Delightful Serving Suggestions
To complement the flavors of your BBQ chicken quesadillas, consider serving them with these delectable side dishes and condiments:
Fresh Salsa: A vibrant and tangy salsa made with ripe tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice adds a refreshing element to each bite.
It balances the richness of the quesadillas perfectly.
Guacamole: Creamy, homemade guacamole made from ripe avocados, diced tomatoes, onions, lime juice, and a sprinkle of salt is an excellent accompaniment.
It adds a creamy and indulgent touch to your meal.
Sour Cream: A dollop of cool and creamy sour cream provides a delightful contrast to the smoky flavors.
Its tanginess complements the BBQ chicken and adds a luxurious texture.
Mexican Rice: Serve your quesadillas alongside a flavorful bowl of Mexican rice.
The combination of seasoned rice and the savory quesadillas creates a satisfying and well-rounded meal.
Grilled Corn on the Cob: A charred and smoky grilled corn on the cob brings a touch of summertime to your meal.
Brush the corn with melted butter, sprinkle some chili powder and lime juice, and enjoy the sweet and savory flavors.
Feel free to mix and match these side dishes and condiments based on your preferences and availability.
They will enhance the overall dining experience and create a delightful combination of flavors.
It’s time to savor the delights of BBQ chicken quesadillas and unlock a world of culinary possibilities. Happy cooking!
Elevate Your Meal Prep Game with My Free Meal Prep Plan
Calling all food enthusiasts! Say goodbye to mealtime dilemmas and embrace the convenience of my free meal prep plan.
Experience the joy of prepping delicious, hassle-free meals while saving time and energy.
Let us guide you through personalized recipes, smart tips, and step-by-step instructions, tailored just for you.
With my plan, you’ll conquer the kitchen like a culinary queen, effortlessly balancing flavors and nourishment.
Transform ordinary cooking into a delightful journey and savor every bite of these delectable BBQ chicken quesadillas.
Take charge of your meal prep routine and unlock a world of culinary possibilities. Get your free plan now and witness the magic unfold in your kitchen!
Are quesadillas a meal?
But a quesadilla is so much more than a tortilla with melted cheese inside (though if that’s all you want, you can’t go wrong).
You can add meat, vegetables, jalapeños, or even salsa. Depending on what you put in it and how much you fill the tortilla, a quesadilla can be a snack or a whole meal.
Are quesadillas eaten cold?
Even though cheese quesadillas taste best piping hot right out of the frying pan, they are still pretty good cold or reheated in a microwave.
To pack cheese quesadilla in a lunchbox, just put it inside the plastic ziplock bag. Cheese quesadillas are very convenient – they don’t fall apart and don’t get soggy!