Greetings, my fellow foodies!
Today, I am absolutely thrilled to share with you a culinary family meal prep masterpiece that will elevate your holiday feasts to a whole new level.
The Honey Mustard Glazed Ham.
A golden-brown ham, glistening with a luscious honey mustard glaze that’s sweet, and tangy. (it is utterly irresistible)
The moment it emerges from the oven, the warm aroma fills the air, signaling the start of a mouthwatering experience like no other.
For me, the honey mustard glazed ham holds a special place in my heart, and it has become a beloved tradition at our Thanksgiving gatherings.
(This dish has the power to transform an ordinary meal into an extraordinary feast)
Bringing families and friends together in a shared appreciation of delightful flavors and heartwarming moments.
Thanksgiving, a time of gratitude and celebration, calls for a centerpiece that captures the essence of the season.
And what better way to do that than with a succulent ham, expertly glazed with a blend of honey and mustard?
In this article, join me as I take your holiday feast to new heights with a show-stopping ham recipe that will have your guests singing your culinary praises.
Get ready to create unforgettable memories and savor the joy of a meal shared with loved ones.
How to Choose the Perfect Ham?
When it comes to preparing mouthwatering honey mustard glazed ham, choosing the right type of ham is the crucial first step.
With various options available, it can be overwhelming. But fear not, I’ve got you covered with some helpful tips.
Expert Tips To Select the Right Type of Ham
- Fully Cooked vs. Fresh Ham: Decide whether you want a fully cooked ham, which is ready to eat, or a fresh ham that requires a long cooking time.
Fully cooked hams are more convenient, as they only need reheating and glazing, while fresh hams offer a chance to infuse your flavors during cooking.
- Bone-In or Boneless: Are you all about that tender and flavorful experience?
Then, a bone-in ham might be your best bet. The bone adds richness to the meat and keeps it moist throughout cooking.
But hey, if you’re all about convenience and easy serving, a boneless option is your go-to.
- Hickory-Smoked or Not: Why settle for the ordinary when you can explore different flavors?
Choosing between hickory-smoked or unsmoked ham opens up a world of taste possibilities.
The smoky aroma from the hickory-smoked ham can give your glaze a delightful dimension that’ll have your guests asking for seconds (and thirds).
What are the Different Cuts and Sizes of Ham?
- Whole Ham: Got a big gathering or special celebrations coming up? Opt for a whole ham.
These beauties usually weigh between 10 to 20 pounds and can easily satisfy a sizable group of hungry guests.
(It’s the perfect centerpiece for your fabulous feast)
- Half Ham: If you’re hosting a more intimate dinner gathering for your loved ones, a half ham is your best friend.
Weighing in between 5 to 10 pounds, it fits well in most home ovens and still offers plenty of mouthwatering goodness to go around.
- Ham Portions or Steaks: Cooking for a small family dinner? (No worries)
Grab some ham portions or steaks that offer single servings, making sure everyone gets their fair share of deliciousness.
Important Factors to Consider When Buying a Ham
- Quality: When it comes to creating a top-notch dish, quality is key.
Opt for hams from reputable brands or order from your trusted meat delivery source to ensure the best taste and texture.
(Always remember that you deserve nothing but the finest)
- Labeling: Want to go the extra mile in choosing the perfect ham? Look for labels that indicate whether the ham is natural, organic, or free-range.
It’s a lovely way to support your food preferences while indulging in a delicious meal.
- Sodium Content: While it’s all about delicious flavors, it’s essential to keep an eye on the sodium content, especially for pre-cooked hams.
Choose options that align with your dietary preferences and keep your meal fit to your nutritious meal prep lifestyle as possible.
So, there you have it, my ham-loving friends!
By considering these factors, you’re well on your way to crafting a honey mustard glazed ham that’ll leave your loved ones with big smiles and full bellies.
Honey Mustard Glazed HamCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
1 bone-in, fully cooked ham (about 6 pounds)
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
Place the ham in a large roasting pan, and if it has a layer of skin, gently remove it using a sharp knife, leaving a thin layer of fat on the ham.
- Score the Ham: Using a sharp knife, score the surface of the ham in a diamond pattern, about 1/4 inch deep.
This will allow the glaze to penetrate and flavor the ham beautifully.
- Make the Glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, honey, whole-grain mustard, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, dried thyme, black pepper, ground cinnamon, and ground cloves until well combined.
- Glaze the Ham: Brush about 1/3 of the glaze over the entire surface of the ham, ensuring it gets into the scored cuts.
Reserve the remaining glaze for basting during cooking.
- Bake the Ham: Cover the ham loosely with aluminum foil and place it in the preheated oven.
Bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, basting with the remaining glaze every 30 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 140°F (60°C).
- Final Glazing: Remove the foil during the last 15 minutes of baking, allowing the glaze to caramelize and form a delightful golden crust on the ham.
- Rest and Serve: Once the ham reaches the desired temperature, remove it from the oven, tent it with foil, and let it rest for about 15 minutes before carving.
This allows the juices to redistribute and ensures a moist and tender ham.
Tips & Tricks
- You can adjust the sweetness and tanginess of the glaze to suit even the palate of the pickiest eaters.
Add more honey for a sweeter glaze or increase the amount of Dijon mustard for a tangier kick.
- If you prefer a spicier flavor, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce to the glaze.
- For a smaller or larger ham, adjust the cooking time accordingly. As a general rule, bake the ham for about 15-18 minutes per pound.
Indulge in this healthy and easy Thanksgiving recipe without any guilt and make this holiday one to remember.
Impress your guests with your culinary skills and dedication to serve a delicious, yet health-conscious dish.
Delectable Pairing Suggestions for your honey mustard glazed ham
To elevate your delightful honey mustard glazed ham experience.
Let’s explore some delicious pairing options that will complement the main dish and create a harmonious feast:
Flavorful Greek Stuffed Peppers
These vibrant and flavorful Greek stuffed peppers are the perfect side dish to accompany your ham.
Bursting with wholesome ingredients like quinoa, fresh vegetables, feta cheese, and aromatic herbs.
These stuffed peppers add a delightful Mediterranean twist to your Thanksgiving table.
The blend of textures and savory goodness will impress your guests and leave them asking for the recipe.
Refreshing Apple and Walnut Salad
Craving a refreshing and crunchy contrast to that succulent ham? (I got your back)
Enter the apple and walnut salad, the ultimate party for your taste buds.
Crisp apple slices, toasted walnuts, mixed greens, and a tangy honey mustard vinaigrette.
They unite to create a burst of refreshing flavors that beautifully complement the richness of the main dish.
It’s like a dance party on your plate. (where crisp meets succulent, and tang meets yum)
Delicious One-Pot Pasta Primavera
Add a touch of Italian flair to your Thanksgiving feast with a delightful one-pot pasta primavera.
Packed with colorful vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and tender pasta, this wholesome dish is a celebration of flavors and textures.
The creamy sauce infused with a hint of honey mustard glaze ties all the elements together, creating a symphony of tastes on your plate.
By incorporating these delectable pairing suggestions.
You’ll create a Thanksgiving spread that not only satisfies everyone’s taste buds but also showcases your culinary finesse.
And there you have it – a delectable honey mustard glazed ham that is both easy on the conscience and a true triumph for your holiday celebrations.
From the moment you take your first bite of this succulent and perfectly glazed ham, you’ll be transported to a realm of culinary delight.
This wholesome and health-conscious meal prep recipe proves that you can savor the rich flavors and cherished traditions of the season.
Without compromising on your commitment to healthy eating.
The combination of the sweet and tangy glaze with the tender, and smoky ham.
Creates an unforgettable harmony of taste that will leave your guests raving and asking for seconds.
But the magic doesn’t stop there. Paired with the vibrant Greek stuffed peppers, the refreshing apple and walnut salad.
And the flavorful one-pot pasta primavera, your Thanksgiving feast will truly become a culinary extravaganza to cherish.
So this Thanksgiving, prepare this for the entire family and indulge in the flavors of togetherness while creating cherished memories around the table.
With the honey mustard glazed ham at the heart of your celebration, you’ll be spreading joy and delight, one delectable bite at a time.
Savor Every Flavor With My Free Printable Meal Planner Today
Are you ready to take your culinary adventures to the next level?
Stay on top of your meal planning game with my free printable meal planner designed exclusively for you.
Embrace the joy of planning delicious, nutritious meals that perfectly suit your taste buds and busy lifestyle.
Say goodbye to mealtime stress and hello to a more organized, efficient kitchen.
From delightful breakfasts to delectable dinners, this chic and personalized meal planner will be your ultimate companion on your gastronomic journey.
Don’t wait. Grab your free printable meal planner now and savor the satisfaction of bringing love and creativity to your table every day.
How to store leftover Honey Mustard Glazed Ham?
To ensure your delicious honey mustard glazed ham stays fresh and safe for later enjoyment, follow these simple storage tips:
- Allow the ham to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Wrap the leftover ham tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out.
- Place the wrapped ham in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag to keep it fresh.
- Store the leftover ham in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. For longer storage, consider freezing it for up to 2-3 months.
How to utilize leftover Honey Mustard Glazed Ham?
Don’t let any of that delightful ham go to waste. Embrace creativity and transform the leftovers into mouthwatering dishes such as:
- Ham and Cheese Omelette: Add diced ham to a fluffy omelet with cheese for a hearty breakfast.
- Ham and Veggie Quiche: Create a savory quiche with ham, vegetables, and your favorite cheese.
- Ham and Swiss Sliders: Make delicious sliders using Hawaiian rolls, ham, Swiss cheese, and a touch of honey mustard.
How to Make the best Honey Mustard Glaze?
Achieve a delectable glaze that will make your honey mustard glazed ham stand out with these handy tips:
- Use Quality Ingredients: Opt for high-quality Dijon mustard, honey, and whole-grain mustard for the best flavor.
- Balance Sweet and Tangy: Adjust the honey and mustard ratio to balance the sweetness and tanginess according to your taste.
- Don’t Overcook the Glaze: Be mindful not to overcook the glaze while basting to prevent it from becoming too thick or sticky.
- Enhance with Spices: Add a pinch of cinnamon or ground cloves to infuse the glaze with warm and aromatic notes.
- Baste Regularly: Baste the ham frequently during the cooking process to ensure an even and flavorful glaze.