I’ve always liked baking since I was a kid.
I remember sugar cookies were some of the first cookies I ever made. And though I wouldn’t say I’m specifically an expert on the matter, after trying out a few cookie recipes throughout the years I’ve come up on one I find myself coming back to again and again.
It took a bit of experimenting, but the recipe is pretty basic, though that’s not to say ABSOLUTELY tasty!
Keep in mind this recipe isn’t for roll out cookie cutter dough. These are quick and easy sugar cookies you can make in lest than 20 minutes for the whole family to enjoy (or hey, just yourself).
The best sugar cookie recipe
I personally like my cookies to have a bit of body to them, so they don’t end up absolutely flat. And these sugar cookies are no different. They’re soft and just the right amount of chewy.
This recipe was created being mindful about adding less sugar to them. Sugar cookies can taste amazing and go great with tea, but they don’t have lots of points in the healthy department.
They take a bit of sugar and butter. Most sugar cookie recipes will as for over a cup of sugar.
This recipe only calls for one solid cup of sugar, along with the bit you sprinkle on the top. You can try experimenting with adding even less sugar if you’re trying to watch what you eat.
If you do try and lessen the amount of sugar, make sure you add less salt to the recipe too. If not the salt will be a bit overbearing when you eat each cookie.
Remember to not overcook your cookies!
When you make your cookies, you’ll be tempted to leave them in the oven for too long because they don’t look “done.”
But you shouldn’t! Leave them in for the recommended time and let them cool.
Their middle usually cools and solidifies as it’s cooked just right.
The dough for these cookies is more in the sticky side, not the firm kind where you can roll them into a ball.
When you spoon them onto a cookie sheet you can try and give each cookie a general round shape with your spoon if you’re picky about that.
And whether you want bigger cookies or smaller cookies you can adjust accordingly, just make smaller dollops for each one.
Enjoy your cookies! Let me know if you try the recipe in the comments.
The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 2 3/4 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tsp. Baking powder
- 1 Tsp. Baking soda
- 1 Cup Room temperature butter, unsalted
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 Large Egg
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and baking powder along with salt and set aside
- Beat together sugar and butter until well mixed and fluffy
- Then add egg and mix before adding the vanilla extract
- Add dry ingredients in thirds until well mixed
- Your dough will be semi sticky and not too firm (that's okay)
- Using a tablespoon, dollop spoonfuls of the dough onto two cookie sheets
- With a spoon or pinching your fingers, sprinkle extra sugar on top of each cookie. You can add colorful sprinkles and different toppings here (optional)
- Set in oven and bake for 8-9 minutes or until edges are very slightly golden brown (don't over bake or cookies will not be soft)
- Take out and let cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container