I think I need to start this unicorn popcorn tutorial by saying it was quite the experiment!
While taking the plunge and trying it (it had been on the to-do list for a while) I knew two things:
- I wanted to design the printable popcorn tubs from scratch (took a while but I’m pretty proud of how they turned out, get the FREE download below).
- I had no idea how the popcorn would turn out but after a few tweaks it was perfect!
I absolutely LOVED the sweet and salty taste they got from the Chickaboom brand of popcorn (this is not a sponsored post) that I found at the 99 cent store.
At first I planned on buying plain popcorn (which works perfectly for this recipe too) but I decided to try Chickaboom popcorn and wasn’t disappointed with the outcome.
The popcorn tubs are super easy to make and turn out pretty tall because each of them takes two whole pages to make. In other words the template comes in two pages.
All you have to do is cut it out, fold, put it together, and voila! You’ve got yourself some fancy themed unicorn popcorn tubs!
They’re perfect for a unicorn themed birthday party if I do say so myself!
Unicorn popcorn recipe and ingredients
For this recipe you’ll only need a few simple ingredients:
- Plain popcorn OR Chickaboom sweet and salty popcorn (though be warned, this popcorn will taste a lot sweeter instead of the plain).
- Powdered sugar
- Pink or blue pearl sprinkles
- Pink and blue food coloring
If you want to add a little extra dimension and flavor you can also add melted candy melts on top for a more white chocolate candy like flavor.
Pink unicorn popcorn
Want to make your popcorn extra pink themed? Skip the blue dye and just stick with the pink.
Halfway through the recipe I thought about doing this but I had already committed to making the blue popcorn (which also turned out great!)
But I absolutely fell in love with how great the pink themed popcorn turned out with the pearl sprinkles. Talk about appetizing and borderline too pretty too eat at the same time.
But like I said, I committed to the blue popcorn and once mixed it was a pretty color combo. If you want to go above and beyond, you can even make a light purple batch of popcorn and mix it in for an extra mix of color.
Purple is definitely a cute unicorn color worth trying. All you’d have to do is get the food coloring for it. Or you can try mixing two parts blue and one part pink to create the color yourself.
Free printable popcorn tub template
And of course this post couldn’t be complete without a set of free printable popcorn tub templates.
They’re themed complete with unicorn colors and turn out to be nice and tall. But if you want you can always pare them down a bit for smaller tubs. Also, you can simply use glue or tape to put them together, no need for anything fancy.
They come with general folding and gluing directions and each template should line up if you print them the same some sturdy card stock.
This is what the templates looked life after cutting them out and putting them together. When you create them, make sure you make time to put them together because they do take a few minutes.
I decided to create them using unicorn themed colors but if you want a set of plain templates you can also always print them in black and white. It’s totally up to you!
More unicorn recipes and DIY ideas you’ll love!
Learn how to make this delicious hot chocolate recipe a la unicorn style!
Chia seed pudding unicorn treats
This was a bit of an experiment with chia seed pudding that turned out great.
3 Free Unicorn Invitation templates for your next celebration
Need a quick unicorn invitation template? I’ve got three different once you can choose from to download instantly for free!
DIY Unicorn party favors with free printable tags
I couldn’t get enough of these unicorn party favors when I made them. Check out the full tutorial.
DIY 5 minute unicorn marshmallow pops
Unicorn DIYs don’t have to be complicated, just try this 5 minute idea!
17 Unicorn templates for your next craft project
If you love all things unicorn, then try these templates for your next craft project: free unicorn stickers, invitation templates, signs, wallpaper, and more.
19 Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas
You might just have to bookmark this one to come back to for unicorn themed ideas.
- 15 Oz. Of plain popcorn OR 3 4.5 Oz. bags of Chickaboom sweet and salty popcorn
- 2 Cups Powdered sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1-2 Drops of blue food coloring
- 1-2 Drops of pink food coloring
- 1 handful of pink or blue pearl sprinkles (optional)
- Divide your popcorn equally on two separate cookie sheets
- Divide your powdered sugar equally into two separate bowls (1 cup in each bowl)
- add pink food coloring to one bowl and blue food coloring to the other
- Add water to each bowl and mix until well blended into a liquidy paste you can pour
- pour the pink sugar bowl all over one cookie sheet and pour the blue bowl onto other cookie sheet
- Dig in and mix each popcorn sheet with your hands until the color is evenly spread, spread popcorn out on sheet, and let sit for a little over an hour or until your popcorn dries
- Once both mixes are dry, throw together in a big bowl and mix
- Download and cut the free popcorn printable templates on card stock and make your popcorn tubs
- Once built, pour your popcorn in each tub
- The recipe makes about three bowls (perfect for an intimate party!) If you'd like to make more, simply double or triple the recipe
- Enjoy your unicorn popcorn!