This easy flan recipe has been a family favorite for quite some time now.
What makes it stand out to me are a few things: It is the best flan recipe I’ve ever come across, it’s easy to make, and it doesn’t use more sugar than it really has to, and its packed with that creamy flan flavor everyone loves.
I remember when one of my favorite aunts would make this flan recipe for me and all of my siblings and she could never go wrong with making one. Whether it was for community events or potlucks it was basically her go-to recipe.
Turns out flan is pretty easy to make with the right ingredients and a few minutes to spare in the kitchen. Granted, this recipe isn’t a fancy concoction of extras mixed in, like coconut shavings orange peel with nuts or vanilla cream cheese.
Extra ingredients are optional and you can always try and experiment with new flan flavors!
This easy flan recipe is definitely one to go into your recipe book and after whipping it up a few times you’ll be able to make it by heart.
Now, the consistency of any flan has A LOT to do with it’s flavor. This particular recipe has a sturdy consistency that has a ‘gellyfied’ velvety feel to it.
This is perfect because it isn’t too smooth it liquefies into nothing when you eat it, and instead has some body filled with flavor.
Without further ado, here is how you can make the easiest flan recipe ever (and tastiest too!)
Serves: 4-5 people
Prep time: 10 mins.
Bake time: 55-60 mins.[ingredients title=”Ingredients:”]
- 3 Eggs
- One 14 oz. can of condensed milk
- One 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1/4 C. of sugar
- 1 Tbsp. of vanilla extract
- 1/2 C. of coconut shavings, nuts, or orange zest (optional ingredients)
- First, beat the three eggs for a few minutes until well blended. Then add the whole can of condensed milk and 1 Tsp. of vanilla extract.
- Take 12 ounces of the evaporated milk (the same amount as the condensed milk can) and bring to a boil in a small saucepan. Pour into your Flan mixture while its boiling hot and mix well with a whisk.
- Use a small saucepan and preheat it on a low heat setting before pouring in 1/4 C. of sugar. Move occasionally and let the sugar caramelize and melt into a nice brown liquid glaze.
- Take your favorite flan pan and pour the caramelized sugar in. Make sure you move it around and spread out the glaze evenly (this will be the nice brown top of your flan once cooked). You can then take your flan mixture and pour it in.
- To bake, use a bigger saucepan and fill it halfway with water. You’ll want to put the flan pan within the pan filled with water so the heat distributed better in the oven and it cooks better. This is typically known as a ‘bain marie’ or a water bath.
- This step is optional, but you can choose to add aluminum foil and cover the top of your flan pan so the bottom doesn’t darken. Otherwise it’ll caramelize and darken into a nice brown.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and put in your prepared flan pan in its water bath. Bake for around 55-60 mins.
- Once you take out your flan, you can tease the edges a bit so that they don’t stick to the pan once it cools and you’re ready to take it out. After letting it sit for an hour or two, place your preferred flan dish at the bottom of the pan and flip. And there you go! Your easy flan recipe in a few key steps! You can garnish with a ton of things, including cinnamon powder, chopped fruit, mixed nuts, or whatever else you think would taste good with it’s consistency.
- Enjoy your new flan creation and make sure you share!
Tips and tricks for the perfect plan
You can adjust the amount of evaporated milk you add to it to adjust the consistency. The less evaporated milk you add, the sturdier the consistency.
Strain your flan mixture through a sieve if you prefer it with less bubbles after baking.
Make sure your water bath is warm water to start with for better heat distribution.
If you want your flan to be more of a VELVETY texture instead of a jelly-like texture then don’t heat the milk! You’ll end up with a smoother soft flan.
Everyone likes their flan consistency different. Make sure you experiment a few times to see how you like it best. This recipe is a bit of a mixture of the firmer and jelly like flan and the velvety texture.
Related: 23 Healthy Snack Ideas For Work
More flan recipes with a twist
Here are some other more involved flan recipes that are a must try if you’re ready to graduate to new flan flavors that I would totally recommend!
Choco Flan Recipe: If you’re a chocolate lover, you’re sure to love this recipe. It’s a nice mix of flan and chocolate explosion of flavors in your mouth.
Cheese Flan Recipe (Flan De Queso): This one is most definitely for all the cheese lovers out there. Make sure you try it if you love sweets and cheese.
Flan Cake Recipe: If you’re looking for more of a cakey doughey makeup then this is the flan recipe for you.
Guava Cream Cheese Flan: Love guava? Incorporate it with your love for flan with this awesome easy to follow recipe.
Creamy Coffee Flan: Why not get your jolt of energy in the form of coffee flan. A must try for all the coffee lovers out there.
Simple Strawberry Flan: Strawberries! Everyone loves strawberries. Pair it with an easy flan recipe and you’ve got yourself a winning dessert.
This easy flan recipe is a must try
Don’t hesitate to try this recipe and share it with your friends! It’s an awesome dessert option for when you have people over or for when you’re simply wanting to try something new. If you enjoyed the recipe don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.