It only takes one Google search to come across about a million guacamole recipes.
It begs the question, what exactly makes a good authentic guacamole recipe?
At the end of the day, whatever guacamole recipe soothes your palate is THE perfect guacamole recipe for you.
But there’s always curiosity for the authentic guacamole recipe. And it’s actually a lot simpler to make than most might think. It doesn’t necessarily include salsa, or mayo, or any fancy ingredients (I’ve even heard egg).
All it takes is a good balanced mix of a fresh set (emphasis on fresh) of ingredients that go well together no matter what.
FUN FACT: Did you know that avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable?
It’s even technically known as ‘a single seeded berry’. Pretty cool huh?
Without further ado, here is an easy authentic guacamole recipe you can use for your next dinner party you won’t regret making.
Authentic Guacamole Recipe
How to keep your guacamole fresh
Sometimes if you let your guacamole sit out for too long it will start turning brown. You definitely don’t want that, especially if you’re hosting!
As soon as you make your guacamole, place it in a plastic air tight container or add some plastic seal to keep the air from getting to it.
Another way to keep your guacamole from browning is keeping the pit and adding it to the middle of your mix when done. You an always add extra lime too, to prevent browning.
Authentic Guacamole Recipe
- 3 hass avocados
- 1 small bushel of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 fresh squeezed lime
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium diced tomato (optional)
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- Pit and dice your 3 hass avocados and put them in a bowl. You have to remember to specifically use hass avocados, because there are a couple of different avocado types out there
- The hass avocados have a dark green to black outer layer and will turn squishy when ripened. If you use another type of avocado, you might end up with a different tasting recipe
- Mix it with the rest of the ingredients except the jalapeno and mash to your taste. For the jalapenos you want to make sure you add your finely chopped pieces a little bit at a time to get a taste of how spicy you want your guacamole to be
- If you aren’t too spice tolerant and you dump in all your jalapeno at once you might end up over spicing it
- Some people like their guacamole more velvety and well blended while others prefer a more chunky guacamole. Lots of people like to put it in a blender and make it extra creamy. It's all about what works best for you!
Guacamole goes great with everything
You don’t have to wait for the next super bowl to make yourself a good old bowl of guacamole. You can make some tonight and enjoy it with your favorite chips!
Hopefully this recipe helped you find the authentic tasting guacamole recipe you were searching for. Enjoy! 🙂
Looking for more money saving meal ideas and recipes? Here is a roundup of the best food related posts: