Greetings, foodies and kitchen enthusiasts.
Today, I’m excited to share a nourishing family meal prep dish that will warm your heart and delight your taste buds – Cauliflower and Broccoli Au Gratin.
If you haven’t experienced this culinary gem yet, get ready for a journey of flavors and textures.
With the chilly weather and Thanksgiving around the corner, there’s nothing like a hearty, cheesy creation fresh out of the oven.
This gratin is a delightful medley of tender cauliflower and vibrant broccoli, embraced in a velvety cheese sauce and crowned with a golden, crispy crust.
Just the thought of it is making my stomach rumble. (and I can’t wait to share the joy of this dish with you)
Beyond its irresistible taste, cauliflower and broccoli au gratin packs a nutritious punch, incorporating wholesome vegetables into every creamy bite.
It’s the perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving feast, adding an extra layer of comfort and indulgence to your table.
Whether you’re planning a grand celebration or just a cozy dinner with the whole gang, this dish is bound to be the star of the show.
Throughout this culinary adventure, I’ll guide you through crafting the perfect gratin.
From preparing the heartwarming cheese sauce to carefully assembling the cauliflower and broccoli.
You’ll find step-by-step instructions and handy meal prep tips to ensure your gratin turns out nothing short of extraordinary.
Are you ready to savor the cheesy goodness of cauliflower and broccoli au gratin?
Roll up your sleeves, preheat the oven, and let’s get cooking!
Why you will love this Cauliflower and Broccoli Au Gratin
Are you prepared to set off on a delightful gastronomic journey that will leave you longing for seconds?
Let me tell you first why this cauliflower and broccoli au gratin is a dish that you won’t be able to resist.
- Irresistible Flavor and Texture: Tender cauliflower and broccoli florets.
Enveloped in a luxuriously creamy cheese sauce with a subtle, nutty crunch from the golden crust on top. (what more can you ask for)
- Versatility at its Best: Effortlessly complements any occasion, from fancy dinner parties to cozy family meals. (this gratin always got your back)
- Memorable Gatherings: This delightful veggie with cheese dish creates lasting memories with loved ones around the table.
Celebrating warmth and togetherness.
- Personal Touch: A cherished family favorite, perfect for special occasions and comforting weeknight dinners.
- Wholesome Indulgence: The combination of cauliflower and broccoli offers a guilt-free indulgence with nourishing goodness.
So, whether you’re a cheese aficionado, a plant-based meal prepper, or simply someone who appreciates a truly gratifying dish.
Cauliflower and broccoli au gratin is your ticket to a world of cheesy delight and unforgettable flavors.
Cauliflower And Broccoli Au GratinCourse: RecipeDifficulty: Easy
Ingredients That You’ll Need
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 medium head of broccoli, cut into florets
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
How To Make It
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Coat a baking dish measuring 9×13 inches with grease and keep it aside.
- Prepare the Vegetables: Boil a generous amount of salted water in a large pot.
Add the cauliflower and broccoli florets and blanch them for about 3 minutes until slightly tender. Drain and transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
- Make the Cheese Sauce: On medium heat, melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
Blend the flour into the mixture and cook for approximately one minute until a seamless paste is formed. While whisking continuously to prevent lumps, slowly pour in the milk.
Cook the sauce until it thickens and becomes smooth.
- Add the Cheeses: Reduce the heat to low and stir in the shredded cheddar and grated Parmesan cheese until they melt and blend into the sauce.
Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Combine the Vegetables and Sauce: Pour the cheese sauce over the blanched cauliflower and broccoli in the large bowl.
Gently toss the vegetables to coat them evenly with the sauce.
- Assemble the Gratin: Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
Sprinkle the Panko breadcrumbs over the top to create a crispy crust.
- Bake to Perfection: Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes until the gratin is bubbling, and the top is golden brown.
- Serve and Enjoy: Remove the gratin from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
Enhance the presentation and taste by adding a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley as a vibrant garnish.
Serve this scrumptious cauliflower and broccoli au gratin as a delightful side dish at your Thanksgiving feast or any other special occasion.
Tips and Variations:
- To Achieve the Perfect Texture: Blanch cauliflower and broccoli for a tender yet slightly crunchy gratin.
- To Balance The Creaminess: Whisk flour thoroughly into melted butter for a smooth cheese sauce.
- Blend in Different Cheese: Experiment with sharp cheddar, Parmesan, or Gruyere for unique flavors.
- Incorporate Herbs: Add fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme for aromatic depth.
- Garlicky Twist: Sauté minced garlic in butter for a delightful garlicky note.
- Protein Boost: Include cooked chicken or bacon for added taste and protein.
- Crunchy Toppings: Try Panko and grated Parmesan for a crispy crust.
Enjoy this easy and healthy Thanksgiving recipe that will surely impress your guests and leave everyone craving more of this cheesy, wholesome gratin.
Mouthwatering Serving Suggestions for your Cauliflower and Broccoli Au Gratin
Take your cauliflower and broccoli au gratin to new heights with these delightful serving suggestions.
These creative pairings complement the gratin’s creamy, cheesy goodness.
Offering a well-rounded and satisfying culinary experience that will delight even the pickiest eaters.
Refreshing Apple and Walnut Salad
Let’s start with a refreshing pairing that brings a natural sweetness to complement the creamy gratin.
The apple and walnut salad is a delightful mix of crisp apple slices and toasted walnuts, adding a perfect crunch and nutty flavor to the dish.
(This combination is pure harmony on your plate)
Crisp Green Beans with Almonds
Up next, is a dish that is a match made in comfort heaven.
These green beans with almonds introduce a burst of freshness that perfectly complements the rich gratin.
Just saute those green beans to perfection with the toasted almonds for an incredible texture contrast that will leave you craving more.
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Who says comfort food can’t be fancy? (not me)
Say hello to baked sweet potatoes, the perfect companion for the gratin.
The sweet and savory combination will leave your taste buds satisfied and your heart content.
The creamy sweet potatoes pair beautifully with the cheesy gratin for an utterly fulfilling meal.
Caprese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes
Get ready to be amazed by this light and refreshing option.
Caprese quinoa stuffed tomatoes are a burst of flavors that complement the richness of the gratin.
The quinoa filling mixed with diced fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and balsamic glaze creates a symphony of taste in your mouth. It’s a party you don’t want to miss.
There you have it, my friends. These diverse and flavorful serving suggestions will take your cauliflower and broccoli au gratin experience to new heights.
With their contrasting textures, fresh elements, and creative twists, each pairing enhances the creamy, cheesy goodness of the gratin.
As this culinary journey comes to a close, I can confidently say that cauliflower and broccoli au gratin have stolen your hearts and earned a place of honor at your tables.
The symphony of flavors, the velvety cheese sauce, and the perfect blend of tender cauliflower and vibrant broccoli make this dish an absolute triumph.
(The versatility of this gratin knows no bounds)
Whether you’re celebrating Thanksgiving with loved ones or simply indulging in a cozy weeknight meal with your busy family.
It’s guaranteed to leave a lasting impression.
I hope this quick and easy recipe has inspired you to explore the joys of creating wholesome and mouthwatering dishes.
The possibilities are endless, and the kitchen is your canvas to paint with flavors.
So, the next time you crave comfort, creativity, and an explosion of taste, remember cauliflower and broccoli au gratin.
Share it with your friends and family, make it your own with personalized touches, and savor every delicious bite.
Embrace Nourishing Meals with My Free Printable Meal Planner Now
Are you ready to embark on a journey of nourishment and flavor?
Let my free printable meal planner be your guide to creating delightful and balanced meals that energize your body and soothe your soul.
Take charge of your culinary adventure, plan your week with ease, and savor the joy of cooking nourishing dishes that bring a smile to your lips.
Say goodbye to mealtime stress and embrace a personalized approach to meal planning that suits your spirit.
Download your free printable meal planner now and let’s unlock a world of delicious possibilities together.
How to store leftovers?
To store leftover cauliflower and broccoli au gratin, follow these steps for optimal freshness:
- Let the gratin cool down until it reaches room temperature.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container or cover the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate within two hours of cooking to prevent bacterial growth.
- You can store the gratin in the refrigerator for a period of 3-4 days.
- Reheat individual servings in the microwave or reheat the entire dish in the oven at 350°F (175°C) until warmed through.
What is a gratin?
A gratin is a popular culinary technique and dish originating from French cuisine.
It typically involves layering ingredients, such as vegetables or potatoes, in a baking dish, covering them with a creamy sauce, and baking until the top forms a delicious golden crust.
The term “gratin” comes from the French word “gratter,” meaning “to scrape,” referring to the crispy top that forms during baking.
Can I make this vegan?
Absolutely. You can create a scrumptious vegan version of Cauliflower and Broccoli Au Gratin by making a few simple swaps:
- Opt for plant-based butter or oil as an alternative to regular butter.
- Substitute all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour or cornstarch for a thickening agent.
- Opt for non-dairy milk like almond, soy, or oat milk to create a creamy sauce.
- Choose vegan cheese or nutritional yeast to achieve a cheesy flavor without animal products.
- Ensure any breadcrumbs used are also vegan-friendly.
With these modifications, you can delight in a flavorful and cruelty-free vegan gratin that’s just as creamy and satisfying as the original.