An easy pasta Carbonara is one of the BEST easy (and cheap) dinner ideas out there.
Not only does it not give you a hard time to make, it also make great leftovers for when you aren’t trying to cook a full blown meal.
I remember back in my college days, this used to be one of the group house favorites, because it was ready in almost no time and people could just eat and eat loads of it.
Of course, a big part of the appeal was that it was made with bacon. But since we’re making a quick and cheap version of the pasta Carbonara this recipe is made with ham slices.
Its interesting because once you fry some ham slices in a little bit of olive oil they tend to taste like bacon. And they give the pasta a DELICIOUS flavor for a third of the price of a pack of bacon (even cheap bacon).
This smart little recipe only needs a few ingredients:
- Parmesan cheese
- Ham slices
- Olive oil
- Sliced Onions (optional)
…and that’s pretty much it. No fancy shmancy ingredients. No expensive ingredients that’ll set you back a week.
Sometimes when I make this recipe I like to add a spray of half a lemon on top!
Call me crazy but the zesty taste of the lemon with the cheese and the ham are super DELICIOUS! Remember, we’re aiming for cheap and tasty here, not fancy.
The traditional carbonara recipe
The traditional Pasta Carbonara recipe has a few more ingredients like Pancetta, eggs (yes, eggs, who knew) and romano cheese (among other optional ingredients).
This particular recipe simplifies the whole thing because we want a cheap ‘Pasta Carbonara’ that can be easy to make and can be JUST as gratifying!
How to make an easy Carbonara sauce?
For this recipe, I usually like to make a Carbonara sauce with some olive oil, a little bit of flour, some milk, and some parmesan cheese all mixed into a consistent sauce like base that will cling to your spaghetti and give it some good flavor.
Along with the browned ham, the recipe turns out to be DELICIOUS and super easy. Next time you make it you’ll know it by heart and it’ll probably take you less time.
Easy Pasta Carbonara
- 1 pack of spaghetti
- 5 slices of ham sliced into thin strips
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup milk or water
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch of sea salt to taste
- 1 bunch of parsley for garnish
- 1/4 of a white onion, sliced (optional)
- First add your olive oil to a pan on medium heat
- In a separate pan, bring water to a boil and add the spaghetti along with a pinch of salt. Boil for about 8-10 minutes or until noodles are soft to taste.
- Add your thinly stripped ham to your pan with olive oil and stir occasionally until the edges slightly brown. You can also add your onion slices here (though they are optional)
- Add your flour and water or milk and stir until it makes a semi thick paste. Then add your salt and pepper.
- Add your parmesan and stir. Then add your noodles and mix everything well
- Garnish with additional parmesan and parsley
Looking for more money saving meal ideas and recipes? Here is a roundup of the best food related posts: